The Norton Art Gallery is named after R.W. Norton Senior who was the founder of the Odessa oil field up in Texarcana. The Nortons had a great appreciation of the arts. When he passed, his wife and son started a foundation in his honor. In a letter Norton Sr. made a statement saying that he wanted the arts be available to all and not just to the few that can afford it. 20 years after the foundation was established they opened the main part of the building in 1957 to the public. In 1998 and 2003 the building was expanded to make room for more openings in the overall collection (outside of what the family had initially donated) to make room for more contemporary, modern, and diversely original artwork....Find more in-depth history at the Museum's Website!